It is important for a child to not only learn self-defense skills, but to also be instructed on when it is appropriate to actually use those skills and when it is not.
We teach this to kids through a protocol called “The Five Rules Of Engagement”. This protocol, originally authored by the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Los Angeles, is a five-step method designed to teach kids how to stop both physical and verbal bullying.
The Five Rules Of Engagement are these:
- Avoid the fight if at all possible.
- If physically attacked, defend yourself.
- If verbally attacked, use the three T steps.
- Avoid punching or kicking the bully if possible.
- When using submissions, establish control and negotiate.
The details for these steps are explained in the above video.